Sunday, January 29, 2012

Multicultural Poetry - Confetti: Poems for Children


1. Bibliographic Citation
Mora, Pat. 1996. Confetti: Poems for Children. New York: Lee & Low. ISBN 9780329112806 

2. Summary and Review
In this collection of children’s verses, Mora has sprinkled Spanish words into the poems written in English. A helpful glossary of these Spanish words is included at the end of the book. An all-Spanish version of this book is also available. The poems, ranging from free verse to rhyming stanzas, all reflect Mexican American culture in the Southwest deserts of the United States, with many of the poems being about nature, itself. The poems seem to be written from a child’s point of view and can be easily read and understood by children. Enrique O. Sanchez’s bright, swirly acrylic illustrations really capture the eye and compliment Mora’s poetry. My favorite poem in the collection, “Abuelita’s Lap,” describes a little girl’s favorite time of sitting and talking with her grandmother. All children can relate to sitting with a loved one, feeling secure, and talking about their day.

Abuelita’s Lap

I know a place where I can sit
and tell about my day,
tell every color that I saw
from green to cactus gray.

I know a place where I can sit
and hear a favorite beat,
her heart and cuentos from the past,
the rhythms honey-sweet.

I know a place where I can sit
and listen to a star,
listen to its silent song
gliding from afar.

I know a place where I can sit
and hear the wind go by,
hearing it spinning round my house,
my whirling lullaby.

I also enjoyed “Castanet Clicks,” which reminds me of a Southwest version of “One, Two, Buckle My Shoe.” It would be a nice addition to a bilingual kindergarten class counting lesson.

3. Awards/Reviews
*Tomás Rivera Mexican American Children’s Book Award Nominee 1997
*Texas Reading Club List 2004
*Américas Award for Children's and Young Adult Literature 1996 commended title
*Positive Reviews Kirkus, School Library Journal, Library Media Connection

4. Activities
The many poems about nature including “Sun Song,” “Can I, Can I Catch the Wind,” “Cloud Dragons,” “Leaf Soup,” and “River Voice,” can be incorporated into science lessons about climate and animals. For example, “River Voice” could go with a study on desert climates. The teacher could read it aloud each day before starting the daily science lesson. These poems could bring a little creativity into the fact driven subject of science.
“Castanet Clicks” could be used in conjunction with Mora’s Uno, Dos, Tres/One Two Three in a pre-k or kindergarten class during a counting lesson.

5. Related Books
*Mora, Pat. 1994. The Desert Is My Mother/El Desierto es Mi Madre. Houston: Piñata Books. ISBN 9781558851214 
*Mora, Pat. 1994. Listen to the Desert/Oye Al Desierto. New York: Clarion. ISBN 9780395672921
*Mora, Pat. 1993. Uno, Dos, Tres/One Two Three. New York: Clarion. ISBN 9780395672945




No comments:

Post a Comment